May. Folk calendar
The Greeks named the last month of spring in honor of the goddess of the mountains of Maya, since at this time the mountains in Greece are covered with greenery. Among the Romans, Maya is the goddess of fertility, the spring renewal of the earth. The ancient Russian name of May is Yarets, named after the Slavic god of the sun, Yarila. In Ukrainian, May is grass: grass grows, trees turn green.
The average monthly temperature is +11.5 ° C.
May proverbs and signs
May warmth is unreliable.
- May deceive and leave in the forest.
- A good start promises a cold second half of the month.
Often there is a return of cold weather: at the time of flowering bird cherry - bird cherry cold. The usual cooling at the end of the month is “seven years time”.
- When bird cherry blossoms, cold always lives.
- To plow in shirts - to sow in fur coats.
- May - give the hay horse, and climb onto the stove yourself.
- May is cold - the year is grainy.
- March dry and wet May - there will be porridge and loaf.
- May dew is better for horses than oats.
The return of colds usually happens in the first and third five-day days. Sometimes snow falls: May 9, 1909; May 15, 1913, May 21, 1927, 1971
But "May frost will not squeeze out tears."
In the second half of the month the weather is dry and hot - up to +25 ° C.
The nightingale began to sing, which means that the birch let go. The nightingale sings when dew from a birch leaf can get drunk.
Birch turns green 5-6 days before the temperature goes above 10 ° C. You can plant potatoes. In early spring, planting begins a week after the deployment of birch leaves - at the time of flowering bird cherry.
Chaffinch ryumit (brings trill, like a cricket) - it will rain.
The peasant has a lot of work: "I would be glad to marry, but May not order."
|First spring thunderstorm||May 2||March 23 (1915)||May 31 (1908)|
|Morels appear||the 6th of May||April 18 (1922)||May 26 (1924)|
|Freezing air ends||the 6th of May||April 19 (I960)||June 4 (1930)|
|May beetles fly out||the 6th of May||April 24 (1950)||June 22 (1947)|
|Swallows arrive||May 9||April 24 (1950)||June 16 (1958)|
|The nightingale sings||May 10||May 1 (1916)||May 18 (1918)|
|dandelion||May 11th||April 30 (1934)||May 25 (1941)|
|gooseberry||May 14||May 1 (1950)||May 23 (1927)|
|bird cherry||16th of May||April 25 (1921)||June 13 (1941)|
|cherry||May 17||April 25 (1921)||June 11 (1941)|
|Apple tree||May 20||May 7 (1950)||June 15 (1941)|
|plum||May, 23rd||May 5 (1906)||June 8 (1912)|
|Temperature transition above 10 ° C||12 May||April 24 (1934)||June 11 (1941)|
|Swifts arrive||May 14||May 8 (1921)||June 24 (1943)|
|Plant potatoes||May 15||May 3 (1935)||June 1 (1944)|
Detailed folk calendar for May
The 1 of May - Kuzma. This carrot and beetroot on Kuzma.
the 6th of May - Egoriy is warm.
- Egoriy came - and not to leave in the spring.
- Egoriy begins the spring, Ilya (August 2) the summer ends.
May 8th - Mark.
- Mark's sky is bright, the women in the hut are hot.
- Mark flew songbirds in flocks.
may 13 - Jacob. Warm evening and starry quiet night on Jacob - to a windy, dry summer.
May 14 “Yeremey the harnesser.”
- On Yeremey pogozh - cleaning is good.
- Bad weather on Yeremey - you’ll scrub all winter.
- This week after Egoria (May 6) and another after Yeremey.
May 15 - Borisov Day is a nightingale holiday.
- Borisov day - nightingale, nightingales begin to sing.
- The nightingale sang - the water began to decline.
16th of May - Martha - green cabbage soup, thrush. Cows from the field come full.
The color of bird cherry brings cold. Green grass - milk increase. The cow has milk on its tongue.
May 18 - Arina the hotbed. Cabbage is planted in ridges. At the same time, they said: “Do not be ankle-bumped, be paunchy, do not be empty, be tight, do not be red, be tasty, do not be old, be young, do not be small, be big!”
May 19 - Job is a pea, borage, and a russennik.
- Job, the dewdrop has dismissed.
- Big dew - to the crop of cucumbers.
22nd of May. Nikol'schina. Nikola the Wonderworker. Patron of the people.
- Nicola would come, but it would be warm.
- Egoriy (May 6) with a body, and Nikola with a cart.
- From Nikola Veshni Sadi late potatoes.
- From Nikola there were 12 frosts (matinees), if not in the spring, then on Semin Day (September 14).
May 24th - Mocha day - was considered a weather indicator for the whole year.
- It's wet on Mokia - it's wet all summer.
- If Mokia has a misty and crimson sunrise, and during the day it rains, towards a wet, dirty summer.
May 25 - Epiphanes. If Epiphanes morning in a red caftan - to the fire summer.
26 of May - Mosquito brooms. Mosquitoes appear.
May 27 - Sidor.
- Sidora still siverko.
- Sidors passed, and sivers passed.
- On Sidora, the summer is cold.
- Swifts and killer whales will fly to Sidor - and bring warmth.
May 28 - Groin.
- Came Groin - the smell of heat.
- It’s warm on Pahoma - the whole summer is warm.
May 31 - Fedot.
- Fedot will come - the last oak leaf will unfold.
- Oak gets dressed - cattle is full.
- Oak in front of the ash leaves let go - to dry summer.
- If on top of Fedot on an oak top with an edge, you will measure oats with a tub.
Ascension is the last spring festival.
Cope on the 40th day after Easter. The Ascension does not have its own fixed date and in different years falls on different numbers. From this day, spring gives way to summer.
From Voznesenyev’s day, spring washes afterwards, bows to honest Semik, looks at the Holy Trinity-Mother of God from under a white pen.
May is a real holiday of spring. The bird cherry blossoms and fades; apple trees, yellow acacia, blackcurrant, gooseberry, mountain ash and wild strawberry, lily of the valley, forget-me-not, lilac, celandine, budra, dandelion, primrose - rams, hoofed grass (sometimes even at the end of April) bloom in spring puddles; on damp meadows - swamp violet, swimsuit; strong flowering sedges; colza blooms profusely, porcini mushrooms appear.
The first cuckoo crowing; first nightingale song. City swallows and swifts arrive, flytraps, warblers. Build finches nests. Lap eggs lay their eggs. Voronata begin to fly from the nest.
A moose cow gave birth to a calf, a foreigner of two; the fox and wolf puppy The bear molts, cubs were born at the ferret, otter, mink, in general, for most of the animals this is the breeding season.
A viper wakes up, a legless lizard - a godworm and other lizards. At the end of May, a gray toad crawls out of the hole and lays eggs with long cords.
- V. D. Groshev. Calendar of the Russian farmer (National signs).