March. Folk calendar
The astronomical beginning of spring - March 20 (21) - the day of the vernal equinox (day equals nights), the end - June 21 (22) - days of the summer solstice.
Weather forecasters attribute the beginning of spring to the period when the average daily air temperature rises above 0 ° C - on average from April 6.
The beginning of the vegetation spring refers to the time when the air temperature passes through plus 5 ° C, at this time a gray alder blooms on April 16-20. Spring ends at the time of flowering of fruit trees and the fall of elm fruits - when the sum of effective temperatures (the sum of temperatures above 10 ° C) is 300 ° C.
Phenologists attribute the beginning of spring to the arrival of rooks (March 12-19), the end to the time of flowering of apple trees and lilacs (early June). The total duration of spring is 85 days: from March 18 to June 11. It consists of four phenological seasons.
- Snowmelt - from the first thaw to the blooming of gray alder and hazel - 29 days: from March 18 to April 16.
- The revitalization of spring - from the flowering of coltsfoot to the overgrowth of birch and dusting of elm - 21 days: from April 16 to May 7.
- The height of spring - from the greening of birches to the flowering of mountain ash and lilac lilacs - 15 days: from May 7 to 22.
- The antecedent - from the blooming of mountain ash and lilac to the blooming of wild rose - 20 days: from June 22 to June 11.
According to observations, early springs are worse than late ones. In the Moscow Region, the probability of the onset of early spring is 40%, late - 43%.
- Late spring will not fool.
- Sooner melts - does not melt for a long time.
- Early spring is worthless.
Harbingers of good and bad spring:
- Long icicles - to a long spring.
- If the migratory bird flows in packs - to a friendly spring.
- Geese fly high - there will be a lot of water, low - a little.
- If the rooks fly directly to the nests - friendly spring.
- Early arrival of rooks and larks - in the warm spring.
- The early arrival of cranes is early spring.
- If wild ducks have arrived greasy - spring will be cold, long.
- Early bees fly to red spring.
- The first thunder in the north wind is cold spring, in the east - dry and warm, in the west - wet, in the south - warm.
Spring defines summer.
- A lot of juice flows from birch - by the rainy summer.
- If the birch leaves before the alder, the summer will be dry, if the alder in advance is wet.
- The late flowering of mountain ash - to a long autumn.
- Birds make nests on the sunny side - towards the cold summer.
- Snow melts in the spring at midnight (from the north side) from the ant heaps - the summer will be warm and long, and if at noon (from the south side) it will be cold and short.
- If a lot of cobwebs flies in the spring, the summer will be hot.
- In the cold spring - a haunting summer. Winter is rich in snow, and spring is rich in water.
- Friendly spring - wait for a lot of water.
- Water in the meadow - hay in a stack.
- Water will spill - hay will be typed.
In the spring there are often returns of cold weather.
- Do not be afraid of winter - be afraid of the winter.
- Winter scares spring, but it melts anyway.
- Don’t scare, winter: spring will come.
- Spring and fall - eight on a weather day.
- Spring on a pinto mare rides (rain, snow).
- Spring is red during the day, and even that is not complete.
And yet: "not all the sun in a gray zipun"
- Spring bakes on top and freezes below.
- Spring soars the earth.
- Spring ice is thick, simple, autumn thin, and tenacious.
- The spring road is not the road.
- In the spring, anxiety for winter crops. Autumn speaks the fields harness; spring says: but I still have a look.
- Autumn will command, and spring will come - it will say its own.
March received its name from the ancient Romans in honor of the god of war Mars, which was previously recognized as a defender of peaceful labor. The ancient Russian name of the month is dry, as well as protestor (rapid snow melting begins), drip. In Ukrainian - birch, in Belarusian - sokovnik.
The average temperature in the Moscow Region is minus 4.9 ° C, with fluctuations from minus 10.3 ° C (1917) to minus 0.7 ° C (1921).
In March, the sun shines 109.3 hours.
March Seasonal Events Calendar
|Temperature transition through minus 5 °||March 17|
|The beginning of snowmelt||March 16th||February 3 (1914)||April 10 (1895)|
|Arrival rooks||March 12th||February 7 (1920)||April 5 (1952)|
|The first thawed spots appear||18th of March||February 3 (1914)||April 11 (1895)|
|Larks arrive||March 28||March 18 (1914)||April 15 (1908)|
|Starlings arrive||30th of March||March 7 (1907)||April 15 (1908)|
Popular proverbs and signs of March
- March likes to fool around for a month: he is proud of frost and sits on his nose.
- March is wrong: now crying, then laughing.
- March water is healing.
- March - winter, knocks down the horn in winter.
- February blows winter, and March breaks.
- March came - put on seven seals.
- In March, a chicken from a puddle will get drunk.
- March dry and wet May - there will be porridge and loaf.
Detailed folk calendar for March
March, 6 - Timothy is spring.
March 12th - Prokop-winter: destroys the road.
March 13 - Vasily Kapelnik: from the roofs of the caplets.
March 14th - Evdokia (Evdokey-plushihsheva). The second meeting of spring (at the Meeting on February 15 - the first meeting). On Evdokia called (gook) spring.
- The Evdokeys came to the man’s venture: to sharpen, repair the harrow.
- Evdokey - dunk the hem, wet under the threshold.
- With the Evdokia-spitting and the first thaw.
- Evdokia is red, and spring is red.
- What is Evdokey, such is the summer.
- On Evdokia a little better - the whole summer is more beautiful.
Break away the wind from Evdokey, from there and all summer. Warm wind - to wet summer, wind from the north - to cold summer. Watch the summer on Evdokey: on Evdokey, snow and rain and a warm wind are in the wet summer, and frost and the north wind are in the cold summer.
- Yevdokey has water - Yegoriy (May 6) has grass.
- If the chicken in Evdokey gets drunk, then the lamb will eat up on Yegoriy.
March 15th - Fedot. "Skidding on Fedota - there will be no grass for a long time."
March 17 - Gerasim the rooker. "Rook on the mountain, spring in the yard."
- Rook pecked the winter.
- Gerasim the rooker drove the rooks.
- I saw a rook - meet spring.
18th of March - Conon gardener. “If there is a bucket on Conon’s day, then there will be no urban harassment in the summer.”
March 22 “Magpies — day equals night.” The Magpies call spring in the form of a vest bird-lark. Baked pastry of the “larks” dough, put linseed or hemp seed inside. Giving the children “birds”, they said: “Larks have flown in, they have sat on the heads of the children.” Then the “birds” were crushed and scattered around.
- The lark is warm, the finch is cold.
- The crane flew in and brought warmly.
- Cranes stretch to the north - to heat, fly back - to the cold.
- The seagull has arrived - soon the ice will pass.
- A rook to a clearing, a starling to a clearing.
- I saw a starling - know spring at the porch.
30th of March - Alexey - streams from the mountains.
- On Alexei, turn the shafts out of the sleigh.
- Equip the cart, sleigh - on a tale.
The sun warms more strongly: drops began to fall from the roofs, and icicles hang from them. Willow covered with white lamb, hazel (hazel) blooms. On clay rhino the snow has melted, stalks of coltsfoot appear.
In early March, sometimes in early April, the first litter of a hare, hares will be born right in the snow; Lynx celebrates the wedding. Moose have new horns, and also reindeer females have an important horn. The hare is molting. A bear comes out of the den.
Butterflies appear - urticaria. Flies crawled along the trunks of trees, followed by spiders. Pike emerges from the pits, begins to take on live bait. Starts to peck ruff.
- V. D. Groshev. Calendar of the Russian farmer (National signs)